June 11, 2006

Huh...

...Now that am travelling by train , a solid 2 hour oneway commute to my work site ,i encounter interesting people and incidents. Yesterday morning , a desi guy approached me and asked if am from India. I usually keep myself engaged by reading books, yet i responded to him. He offered me an "lucrative way to make more money" and started to explain about a MLM project. He showed me a magazine that contained pictures of "Quixtar Indian Millionaires". I realized he is from Amway/Quixtar and stopped him right there saying am not interested. Seems like i can't even travel in peace! Huh...! I dont know if its an acceptable etiquette to harass unknown people and canvass some crap they want to sell !
I have had enough with this back home when Amway friends and relatives bugging to enroll and it just strains the relationships. May be am not sure if this works or even legal !

A few days ago, a friend of mine here attended a MLM convention .He said he hardly saw any white guys there at the convention, the majority of the audiences being Desis. The 3 day convention had variety of foods including puliodarai, thayir sadham and desi varieties.

I googled to find more about Quixtar Indians and bumped HERE , and HERE ! Nasty posts,Indeed !!

5 comments:

ada-paavi!!!! said...

please give me the singapore address, i wud say its worthwhile to attend to convention if they serve good indian food :D

Venky Krishnamoorthy said...

You should another blog, that talk about travel...similar to Jags.
You can take pics, talk about what your "over heard"...

Narayanan Venkitu said...

Tell me about these guys..!! I've been there don't that..I don't like the way they Solicit.

I thought Amway what out..didn't know about this Quixtar.!

Taruna said...

Ye, true!! Whenever I see a sheepishly-looking, extensively smiling, over-friendly desi-guys (mostly on prowl with their wives), I try to run in the other direction. I have had enough with the with these Amway/Quixtar people at Barnes and Noble, Walmart..

Rajesh &Shankari said...

argh, I despise these people. When I went to India a neighbor wanted me to give them my number here and when I asked why , he says someone from US will call you to help you make more money. I immdly asked him if he was talking abt Amway and U shd see the look on his face. I told him I would like to be surrounded by friends and dont want them to runaway