April 29, 2005

Damn !

My computer seemed infested with adware and was not functioning properly.Hence i called up the 1800 OK COMPAQ for assistance.First,The call was picked up at our own velacherry call center and the guy took my details. He spoke in Tamil and gave a feel of India to me :-)
But, he did inform me that i needed to pay since am out of warranty...(It was 3 am IST...pity him). I paid the service charge and again my call was transferred to technical support desk at Canada .Here,the Tech support guy was on the phone for atleast couple of hours and told me to change some settings..blah blah. Since am a non computer professional, i had no idea of what he told me to do..i just did what he said..YES..he finally told me to "use the Recovery CD and reformat my system"..Damn again..I called for support and this seemed an easy way out..If i had known to use recovery CD (i lost all the stored files)....I wouldnot have spent 2 hours on the phone and above all $120 + Tax as charges..


INDEED AN ADVICE WITH A PRICE TAG!!....

12 comments:

Narayanan Venkitu said...

If you not aware of this please go to www.download.com, and download adaware ( Its free) and run it everyday. I do it..!! Its works wonderfully

Anonymous said...

Adengappa, That is a lot of money! Adutha dhadavai do ask the bloggers I am sure someone would be able to suggest a cheaper way out. Good Luck

Krish said...

Prabhu, kaiyile vennaiyai vechchundu neikku alainjeengale. You could have called me (you already have my number). I would have saved you $120 + taxes.

Lumbergh-in-training said...

Thambee!
just get a computer science or comp engg student from near your home to do it for you. you can even get a high school geek to do it for you.
you can pay a fraction of what you pay to the tech support.

Adaengappa !! said...

Venkitu sir,
Thanks for the site referral.Ill download the anti adware software.Thanks again..

Adaengappa !! said...

Ms.Uma,Thanks for the suggestion.If anything needed again..Ill surely take advice from fellow bloggers..

Adaengappa !! said...

Mukund,Indeed its lots of money lost.Ill call u soon..

Any suggestions to keep spyware free??

Adaengappa !! said...

Abbey Manoj,
Naan irukarathu America-la..En pakkathu apartmentla yaaru irukaanu kooda theriyathu..where will i catch a highschool geek??

Thanks for dropping by!

Twin-Gemini said...

Dude or dudess, 120 bucks???!!! That's outrageous! Next time you have a problem with computers, ask one of us for help, before you even go to customer support. Most of these problems are solvable quite easily (as you might have known by now) - most of these guys do nothing but read out from a standard set of scripts, so no use going to them unless it it something very very essential. Next time you have a problem, send me an email first, if I can I will certainly try to help.

Twin-Gemini said...

To keep adware out use spybot or ad-aware (from lavasoft). These are good for spywares. If it is just poppups, you most probably wont have to format your computer, just running some softwares should do.

tt_giant said...

tech support people are relatively helpless in these sutuations unless they are physically present in the site of problem.

get ad-aware and spybot s&d. you must be good to go.
self help is the best help.

Adaengappa !! said...

Gemini ,TT giant..Thanks for ur suggestions..
I'll definitely catch upon bloggers for suggestions b4 dialing tech support..
Thanks again......

Blog Archive